The Mission of Groundwork Dallas:
Groundwork Dallas’ mission is to enable people to realize the merits of the Great Trinity Forest, its surrounding resources, and its impact on our future. And, to encourage the community to use, preserve, and enhance these natural resources.
Groundwork Dallas will initially target its work in the Great Trinity Forest and its gateway communities.
Groundwork Dallas is about people working TOGETHER to promote the environmental, economic and social health of the Southern Sector of Dallas.
It is about Changing Places and Changing Lives!
Groundwork Dallas was founded in 2005 as a nonprofit organization and is one of fourteen (23) approved Local Trusts in the Groundwork USA network. Groundwork USA is an initiative of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Brownfields Program and the National Park Service Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program.
- Nature Trails: providing access to the Great Trinity Forest, the Trinity River and White Rock Creek.
- Parks and Gardens: Designing and building safe, attractive neighborhood places and spaces.
- Healthy Communities: Encouraging physical activity and economic health through outdoor recreation and ecotourism in the Great Trinity Forest.
- Public Areas: Revitalizing and beautifying parks, streets, medians and other public spaces.
- Vacant Lots: Converting brownfields and derelict land into community spaces, gardens and parks.
- Attitudes: Encouraging the citizens of Dallas, to take responsibility for the environmental health of the forest and its gateway communities.
- School Children: Providing innovative environmental programs for schools and recreational centers.
- Young Adults: Offering training and employment in the landscaping, horticulture and environmental fields.
- Communities: Activating people of all ages to work together to improve their city.
Our strategy and action plans call for us to improve access to the Great Trinity Forest by planning, constructing and maintaining nature trails, multi-use recreational trails and trail ammenities in the Great Trinity Forest. We also sponsor and coordinate clean-ups and beautification projects in and around South Dallas neighborhoods, parks waterways and brownfield areas.